Camiguin subsidizes farms to plant improved lanzones variety
MAMBAJAO, CAMIGUIN, September 22 (PIA) – The improved “camlong” Camiguin-Longkong lanzones variety will be made available to local farms next month through a subsidized scheme, seen to boost quality, production, and economy here.
Provincial Governor Jurdin Jesus M. Romualdo called on farmers to maximize on the opportunity and assured them that the process will cut off the production and propagation period of lanzones planting materials to only four months, than the traditional propagation period which requires more than a year, while harvesting is seen as early as five to six years instead of usual eight to twelve years period.
Under the plant now pay later program (PNPL), which is also available for other fruit growers, the provincial agriculture office (PAO), will take charge of the land preparation and planting, while the owner secures the area by providing sturdy (not necessarily concrete) perimeter fence to protect the plant from animals and intruders.
It’s a 60/40 scheme, 40 percent of the total harvest will given to the local government and the remaining 60 percent will go to the land owner, after five harvests the contract will be forfeited and the owner will regain back his harvests in full. (JCV/ PIA10)